

Today was incredible! Not only did we get to go to the PS1 museum and Sculpture Center, but we got to explore an entire block full of amazing graffiti. Our first stop of the day, the Sculpture Center, was interesting but not my favorite of the day. I really enjoyed the outdoor sculpture towards the entrance of the building, a metal reflective sculpture in the word: DESIRE. Because it acted like a mirror, it reflected the brick of the building on the letter, and the blue sky on part of the letters. I was expecting a multitude of pieces when I walked into the building, but instead there was only one big light-sculpture with blinking lights that spelled out “BUILT FOR CRIME”. I wasn’t sure how the words and the sculpture itself correlated, but I like how the lights blink continuously. It wasn’t the words or the lights itself that had an impact on me, but the massive size of the piece itself that struck me in awe. Another piece that caught my immediate interest was a video installation set up in a tiny space, which the artist created to make you feel more connected to the video. The video itself is of a roller coaster ride and 2 men in what looks like winter time in a deserted place, and the space is built to look like part of the Roller Coaster.
I absolutely love the building that makes up the PS1 museum. The side stairs had art going up and down the walls, and the basement even had an installation. One of the most interesting installatios in the museum was the basement in fact, with a motion detector for passersby that started a recording of cat noises from purring, to a slight defensive meow, with pumping noise that shook the ground. Lastly, as an avid drawer myself, I was very engrossed with the realistic graphite and ink drawings by Marlene McCarty, especially one called, “Planned Assassination”. I am easily drawn to pieces that have a lot of fine detail to them, and these drawings were amazing!
I cannot express how lucky we were to come by such an amazing black of buildings and garages with mind-blowing graffiti art plastered everywhere! I have never seen anything like it. There were images of famous rappers, to tiny ghosts and alien like creatures. It was almost overwhelming, like an over stimulating experience but so worth it!


No comments:
Post a Comment