Monday, April 23, 2007

Day 5

Today was by far the best day of art and museums of the whole trip! We went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, (MOMA), and then the Whitney. Just before the trip I had finished taking a Modern Art History course, and so I was uber excited to see all the works I had been studying for months. With every room I walked into, my eyes lit up like Christmas Morning. (Weird, I know). Two of my favorite works of art in the world were at the MOMA, and I didn’t even know it until I walked around and magically found them.
One of them, Jasper Johns “Flag”, was incredible! The Abstract Expressionist created a piece that looks so simple from far away but has a collage feel with newspaper underneath which adds an amazing aesthetic and textured quality to it. The highlight of the MOMA, was when I walked into a room where I saw a few Monet paintings, (always thrilling)… but then I saw it. All alone and quite petite in the corner. My favorite painting of all time. I had no idea it was even here. And then it happened. My eyes welled up faster than I could comprehend what I was seeing. Vincent Van Gogh’s “Starry Night”. Yes, I did in fact cry tears of joy, but I have never in my life been affected by a work of art until then. I had just written an 8 page paper on the painting, and so to see it in real life was unforgettable.
Lucky me, not only did I get to see my two favorite paintings, but my favorite Assemblage piece was there was well, Max Ernst “Two children are Threatened by a Nightingale”.

A The rest of the MOMA was amazing all the same, with Andy Warhol, Piet Mondrian, and Pablo Picasso. Not to Mention the biggest Pollock painting I have ever seen! I could have spent so much more time there!


Next we went to the Whitney where the only work that really caught my attention were Lorna Simpson’s photographs “Disclosure”, with ambiguous text and image relationship. She has a very conceptual way of breaking boundaries between gender equality, and racial issued in the US with her work. I enjoyed the video installations as well, but at this point in the day, I was so exhausted from looking at everything all I could think about was resting my feet!